Thursday, October 06, 2005

A New NHL Season, Finally! And I'm.... NOT WATCHING IT?!??!?!

Finally, hockey is back! The Leafs had thier first game last night against the Ottawa Senators. It was fitting, I think, that these two teams were the ones to have the first ever shootout. The Sens won the shootout. However, this post isn't about them... it's about me. This is my story...

I missed the entirety of the game, being out of town, but was able to listen to the radio broadcast for the last bit of the third and overtime while driving home (which, incidently, was the most exciting part of the game). I turned off the radio when they got to the shootout, as I was recording the game at home and wanted to watch that without knowledge of the result. Of course, the trick was to turn on the TV and access my PVR without seeing the results before I could play the game back. I muted the sound and tried as quickly as I could to press play, but alas, Sportscentre was on and they had the final score full screen, and I saw it... Just my luck.

So, I watched the shootout anyway. I found it quite anti-climatic. It could have been that I knew the outcome, or that the Leafs lost, or it could be that yes, shootouts do indeed suck and the novelty will wear off really quick. But I'll reserve final judgement for the shootout until I see one live on TV and the Leafs win. Then it'll be a fair assessment, because if I still don't like them after that, then I'll never like them. At least they're leaving them out of the playoffs, so we can still have marathon overtimes with sudden death goals. There's nothing more exciting than that.

No comments:

Post a Comment