Wednesday, October 12, 2005

MSN & Yahoo Messengers To Hook Up

I just read this news story:

CBC News: Microsoft, Yahoo to link up instant messaging services

Seems as though MSN and Yahoo are going to facilitate messages between the two IM programs. I think this is a great idea, and hope it's a sign of things to come. The only thing that I'd worry about is if there is eventually only one IM program. Having different IM programs spurs on innovation of new features. However, in this case, it sounds like the two programs will still be used separately, except messages from one can go to the other. Good call.

Another note in the story is that apparently AOL messenger is the most popular IM program, which I find incredible. Personally, I've never used AOL Messenger, and don't know anyone who does. I suppose it's #1 based on the fact that AOL is the ISP to so many people, and they must have the messenger program by default.

Oh ICQ, I pine for thee.

No comments:

Post a Comment