Tuesday, October 25, 2005

I Don't Quite Know How To Put This (So I'll Make It Very Very Lengthy)

So, it took me a month, but I finally went to see the movie "Serenity". Why did it take me so long? Well, let me tell you. You see, I tend to think of myself as a fan of the science-fiction genre... a geek, if you like, I don't care. But word of this movie started reaching my ears, and the word said it was based off this TV show "Firefly" that was cancelled practially before it started. Imagine my shock when I realized, "I've never heard of that show before"! However, people who did see the show seemed to love it... a lot. So that got my interest up a bit. Then the movie was released, and everyone who saw it seemed to love it... a lot. So I says to myself, "Self, you should be going to see that movie". I say back to myself (yes I talk back to myself quite often nowadays... deal with it), "but you know it won't be as enjoyable if you don't see at least one or two episodes of Firefly just to know the characters". I say back, "you're probably right. Let's see when Space airs it.... Huh, 10 AM on Wednesdays, eh? Well, good thing I have my PVR". So, this goes on for two weeks and I see two episodes, which were right in the middle of the series. So I say to myself, "Self, you've gone this far. Just watch the whole gorram series". I say back, "Good idea"! So, off to video store I go. I took two more weeks, but I finally finished the whole series on DVD, and I pretty much loved it. Not because it's so much a typical sci-fi show, because it's not. There's little in the way of crazy technology and technobabble that non sci-fi fans seem to hate... not to mention, there's no aliens in Firefly, which doesn't happen often in these shows. No, what I liked about it was the well drawn characters and stories. You just couldn't help to want to be part of that crew.

But anyway, so I finish the DVDs... just in time for "Serenity" to leave theatres. Ah! But good thing for the Princess Cinema Twin. I probably should buy a membership next year, but I digress. The point is, I went to see "Serenity" tonight. I've been really looking forward to it, and I've been saving myself from spoilers and the like until I could finish watching Firefly, and I've come to the point where I write about the movie.

But, the thing is, I just don't know what to say.

Not that it wasn't a good movie. In fact, it was fantastic. I loved it. Not only from a "I hope this is true to the original show" standpoint, but mainly from a "Dang, that was a good movie" standpoint. I should tell you that as a general rule, I won't spoil a movie here on my blog. Even if everyone who will see it probably has seen it by now. Doesn't matter, I won't talk plot. But damn it, that's all I can think of to talk about. I suppose this blog is a form of therapy which is a substitute for actual human communications, but that's a really huge and ugly tangent where we will never go. So, back on topic... While I can't seem to find much to say, I will say this. This is a story built on really good characters, as I said above. Each one is likeable in a completely unique way. Of course that leads itself to one having favourite characters. I just have to say that (after Kaylee, of course) Wash was favourite.

Anyway, bottom line is that "Serenity" is a fantastic movie. If you're one of the people who say, "Sci-fi sucks and will always do so. Serenity is a sci-fi movie. Therefore, Serenity must suck so I won't watch it", I'm sorry for you, but you're missing out. But honestly, while I think it works well as a standalone movie, it most likely is enhanced if you've seen at least some Firefly episodes.

I don't know why I'm being so wordy with this topic. Especially since I wasn't a fanatic of the series, seeing how I only heard of it when I heard of the movie. In fact, if you've make it this far, you should win some sort of prize by sticking with my ramblings. Good for you! Here's a pat on the back.

No comments:

Post a Comment