Saturday, December 31, 2005

Matt's Year End Movie List Is Stupid

Another year has come and gone. This being New Year's Eve, I thought that it would be good to have some sort of year in review post... but what to review? The thing I came up with was movies. So, here is my ranking of this year's movie crop.

In this list are movies that I saw that were released in 2005, not just movies I saw in 2005. So, I went through the list of 2005 movies on boxofficemojo.com and picked out the ones that I had saw. It turns out that I saw 18 movies that were released in 2005. I ranked those movies best to worst, and here they are:

1. Serenity - By far my favourite, and therefore best, movie of 2005. This movie was based off the short lived series "Firefly". I was shocked at myself for never even hearing of the series before hearing of the movie. This movie didn't make that much at the box office, as I think people were scared of the "based off a TV series I never saw" factor. However, you certainly didn't have to have seen the series to enjoy the movie... but it's definately better seeing the series first. I realized that, and ran out to the video store to rent the Firefly DVDs before I saw the movie. I finished them just in time to catch Serenity in it's last week playing at the Princess Twin. I like the series and movie so much that I immediately went out and bought the Firefly DVDs and then the Serenity DVD when it was released last week. Here's to hoping this story isn't done yet, but I'm not holding my breath.

2. The 40-Year Old Virgin - This year's funniest movie starred Steve Carrol, formerly of The Daily Show (funniest show on TV). I saw this movie twice in theatres and then received the DVD this Christmas. Do you know how I know you're gay? Because you haven't seen this movie yet.

3. Batman Begins - So very cool. Much better than the previous Batman movies. I loved how it was like a Batman backgrounder, describing how he became Batman and how he got all his cool stuff.

4. Hitchhiker's Guide To The Galaxy - I found this movie to be purely enjoyable. Of course, I never read the book beforehand, and had no idea what the story was about. I think that fact actually increased my enjoyment, as I had no idea where it was going next. I was totally caught up in the movie from start to finish.

5. The Wedding Crashers - This was on track to be the funniest movie, until the 40-Year Old Virgin showed up. It's pretty crude, but oh so funny.

Now, I'm getting tired of writing blurbs for all the movies, so I'm just going to list the rest of them in order.

6. Star Wars Episode III (Darth Vadar Cometh)
7. War Of The Worlds (Why I continue to really enjoy Tom Cruise movies is beyond me)
8. Charlie And The Chocolate Factory
9. Sin City
10. The Interpreter
11. Hitch
12. The Longest Yard
13. Mr. & Mrs. Smith
14. Constantine
15. Jarhead
16. Guess Who
17. The Dukes Of Hazzard
18. Kicking And Screaming

So, there's my ranking of the 2005 movies. Of course, the list didn't include movies I haven't seen yet but really want to. They include: The History of Violence, Rent, Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire, Madagascar, The Chronicles of Narnia, March of the Penguins, The Brothers Grimm, and The Ringer.

In other news, I'm having a nice week and a half vacation in the tropical paradise of Bright's Grove, but alas, it ends soon. I hope everyone manages to have a good time on the most over-rated night of the year tonight. See you soon, and go see Serenity.

No comments:

Post a Comment