Saturday, February 26, 2005

Why Curling Is Cool.... And You Aren't

I love Curling. Curling is cool, Curling is fun. I used to curl back in my highschool days. I even skipped the SCITS team for 3 years. Not that we were much good, but we did make the playoffs for a couple years. I don't curl much anymore, which is too bad because I miss it. It seems if you want to join a local Curling league, you have to already be in a team, which of course, I'm not. I don't even know anyone else that curls. Anyway...

So, being played this past week was the Scott Tournament of Hearts... which is the Canadian Women's Championship. In the past few years, Curling has been shown on TSN, but this year, CBC won the exclusive rights. This is good in some ways, because it's network TV, but the CBC didn't want to show live curling in prime time, so they shifted the evening draws to their digital specialty channel, CBC Country Canada. This angers me. Of course, I happen to be lucky enough to be able to have CBC on the television during the day and then lucky enough again to have digital cable so I could order CBC County Canada. But there are probably lots of Curling fans shutout because they're at work in the afternoon, and then don't have digital TV for the evening, which means, no live Curling. I read somewhere that before curling started CBC Country Canada averaged about 500 viewers at any given time. So, in order to prop up their failing digital channel, they're screwing Curling fans. As soon as the Curling season is done, I'm totally cancelling CBC Country Canada.

On the bright side of this year's Tournament of Hearts, a lot of the teams are recent junior champions, and quite the lookers. Last night, it was a match between Ontario and Saskatchewan. A couple of teams that are mostly in their mid-twenties, and lookin' good! Yes, another reason I miss curling.

No comments:

Post a Comment