Thursday, February 03, 2005

bebo.com? It's all the rage apparently

Alright... Enough is enough. This week I've gotten four separate e-mails which say something to this effect...
Hi

I am updating my address book and it would be very helpful if you could click on the link below and enter your contact details for me:

http://www.bebo.com/

I am using a service that keeps contact details current, just update your own contact details and then the changes appear in selected friends' address books. When I update my contact details you will see them in your address book.

Thank you for helping.

[Someone's name here]

You know, maybe I'm a bit paranoid... but I don't trust these websites that graciously offer to hold thousands of people's contact information for free. It seems to me to be pretty shady.

Now, I have nothing against keeping in touch. But if you want my contact info, just ask me. I'll give it to you. I'd like to keep in touch. When I got these four e-mails (and I expect more to come over the next few days, because these internet fads spread like viruses) I just gave them my address, phone numbers, etc. in a reply e-mail.

I did a little searching on google for bebo.com hoping to find out more, but not much came up in the way of reports of shady things happening with them. Still, I'm not convinced, and probably won't be. But then again, I may just be paranoid...

No comments:

Post a Comment