Wednesday, March 06, 2013

My SimCity Non-Experience

Despite the fact that there was plenty of warning that EA's attempt at an always-online DRM scheme would create nothing but problems, I went ahead and bought the new SimCity anyway.  Because... well, it's SimCity.

I wasn't able to play it last night, due to overloaded servers.  I was able to pop on at lunch time to finally do the tutorial city.  But tonight, server congestion seems even worse.  I get a message that says it's too busy along with a countdown clock of 19 minutes saying that's when it will attempt to log in again.

The situation is just so mind mindbogglingly ridiculous that I don't even know what to say at this point.  I guess the message here is, according to EA, the only way to stop piracy is to stop everyone from playing games.

2 comments:

  1. I think buying it just reinforces EA's bad behaviour. They don't care if you can play it as long as they have your money. What motivation do they have to improve their servers if people will not be able to play it but buy it anyway. Always-online is a terrible idea.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's exactly the problem. They have their money, so why should they care? And when they make a crappy sequel to this in a few years, they'll just shut down the servers to this game to try and make you buy the next.

    ReplyDelete