Saturday, August 20, 2011

How I Spent My Summer Vacation

I just got back on Thursday from a 10 day trip to Holland and Paris with my siblings. Here are the highlights:

Holland was cool. Besides catching up with relatives that I haven't seen in 8 years, we went to Amsterdam and did the Heineken Experience, walked through the red light district, visited a coffee shop and ate at KFC. Also, a trip to Zeeland and Utrecht along with some laid back days in Veenendaal playing Rummikub and Toepen. It was also good to eat some patat met, bitterballen and soused herring.

The Paris experience was mixed at best for me. We did a lot of walking, saw the Eiffel Tower, did a River Seine tour, saw a concert in Notre Dame, saw the Catacombs and Sacre Cœur. Paris was very busy (granted it was a weekend in August) and wait times were just all kinds of stupid. Also there were scammers and sellers of cheap knockoff souvenirs everywhere. But the lasting memory for me might just be that I was pick-pocketed in the Metro on our way back to the airport. So, I've had to replace all my credit cards, bank card, driver's licence and health card. So far I've only got 2 of my 3 credit cards back and it'll be a few weeks before I have a real driver's licence and health card in my hands again. The lost money isn't so bad as the hassel. But the worst part is knowing that some creep in the subway had me marked out as a target. One can only learn from the experience.

I've put a set of pictures up on Flickr, which has more photos than the ones I put on Google+ and Facebook. So check that out if you want.

3 comments:

  1. Welcome to the Robbed-In-France Club! :) Sounds like you had a good time despite it! Lovely pictures, by the way.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's a sizable club, I'm finding out.

    Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Too bad that there are those in this world who have no morals and care only for themselves. Hopefully, that won't be the lasting memory for you about Paris Matt.

    ReplyDelete