Thursday, May 19, 2011

All Good Stories Must Have An Ending


One of my favourite shows on right now, Chuck, just got renewed for a 13 episode fifth season, which will be its last. This is only good news, as far as I'm concerned, even though it means the end of Chuck after this coming Fall.

I fully believe that a show that tells a larger story over the course of its run (as opposed to an episodic type show in which each episode is self contained and doesn't require any significant previous knowledge) needs a proper ending to be considered a good story as a whole. Think of Lost, and if it was cancelled before the writers could wrap things up. Despite of whether you liked the series finale, at least they were able to wrap up most of the million loose ends they created.

For the past 2 years, Chuck has survived by receiving an initial renewal of 13 episodes and then getting an additional 9 episodes added on to that mid-season. This has forced the writers to create 4 different episodes that has enough closure to be considered a series finale, but enough left unresolved to be a season finale cliffhanger. I think it's made the stories over the last 2 years seem forced.

Now with the knowledge that the show will end after 13 more episodes, I hope they can write a great close to the series and therefore, make it complete.

2 comments:

  1. I loved Chuck and watched it for years, but this last season lost me. I would turn it on and watch for 10 minutes without even seeing Chuck. I don't know, maybe I didn't give it enough time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The 3rd and 4th seasons paled in comparison to the 1st and 2nd. But I think that's a product of the "we don't know how much time we have left in this series" type of mentality that they had to work with. So, I'm looking forward to seeing how they wrap things up with the 13 episodes they know they have left.

    ReplyDelete