Sunday, March 13, 2011

Pros vs Cons: Telephone Edition

So, I'm seriously thinking of ditching my land line in favour of using my cell phone more. Has anyone done this sucessfully? I'm making a list of pros and cons.

Pro: Save about $50 a month
Con: Call quality isn't as good on a cell
Pro: Use the minutes on my cell which often go very unused
Con: Have to keep my cell near me whenever I'm at home
Pro: Still have my office VoIP line available with its included long distance
Con: I'll have to list my cell number as my actual number, increasing the likelyhood of telemarketers
Pro: I get my choice of toppings
Con: The toppings contain potassium benzoate

Any others?

4 comments:

  1. PRO: You can turn off your cell phone.
    CON: You can unplug your land line.
    PRO: You may experience higher than normal call volume on your cell
    CON: You may experience lower than normal call volume on your landline.

    ReplyDelete
  2. $50 / month for a landline?  That's absurd.

    TekSavvy has them for $21ish plus tax and features.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have lived without a landline since July 2005.
    On the day that I moved out of our old apartment.
    You can do it Matt, it's not that bad.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We did that for a few years and used Bell's long distance plan for our cell phones and shared minutes in some sort of family plan. Over the three years that we used this plan Bell increased our fees significantly for long distance without notice, giving me several heart attacks and causing me to spend hours upon HOURS on the phone with Bell trying to talk sense into the madness.

    This was the number two reason why I hate Bell.

    The number one reason is a whole different horrible story.

    I much prefer my landline with no cell phone life now, but unfortunately still have to deal with Bell thanks to my living in a crappy small town with no competition.

    ReplyDelete