Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Why Are You Still Using Facebook?

If you have a Facebook account and are active and use it to post comments, status updates, photos, videos, links, etc... this isn't about you.

If you have a Facebook account but aren't active with comments or photos, but keep your page active as a way for people to find you and contact you... this isn't about you.

However, if you have a Facebook account and have, for all intents and purposes, abandoned it... if you don't check it regularly, don't post content, have email notifications turned off, and ignore friend requests and messages sent... what's the point? Why don't you delete the page? Because if someone is actually trying to get in contact with you, there is a reasonable expectation of some sort of response. To not respond, because you have long since stopped being active on the site is, for lack of a better word, rude. How is someone coming onto your page to know that you'll never see any message sent?

Please do everyone a favour and clean up your online presence.

3 comments:

  1. I feel the same way about some people's blogs.  Almost.  At least the stuff there tends to have a bit more thought put into it than the average facebook/twitter update.

    How do you feel about freaks like me who have never had a FB page?

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is one of the reasons that I rid myself of the fb.

    I had too many people on my list who randomly abandoned and when I tried to get ahold of them, they never responded - BUT if I deleted them, they freaked out and sent me (and in one case someone even sent Patrick an email about me) emails demanding to know why I hate them.

    In sentiment, I agree with you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I feel kind of envious in a way.  It's nearly impossible to leave there now even though it's mostly become a black hole of nothingness.  What's left there are profile ghosts... monuments of people who used to be active or at least contactable via FB... long since abandoned.  But you don't actually know that until you send a message that goes ignored indefinately.  Impossible to leave, as there is stilll a sizable hardcore user segment who, on the other end of the spectrum, who practically use FB as their sole means of communication.  I think Lindsay can attest to how hard it was to leave.

    However, it wasn't all bad.  Back in it's heyday (2007ish) I was able to reconnect with friends not heard from in many years.  But those days of opprotunity are long gone.

    ReplyDelete