Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Help Me Replace My TV: LCD, LED or Plasma?

So, I've started on my quest to replace my broken Dell plasma. My thinking going into this is that I don't need to go super-top-of-the-line, since just about everything is better in quality than a TV bought 4 years ago, but at the same time I might as well use this as an opportunity to upgrade the size. My initial leaning were towards the 55" LCD range. I know 2 of the issues about my old plasma is that it gave off a tonne of heat and (while I didn't have any permanent burn-in problems) there were temporary ghost images of static images left of the screen for a few minutes... that's why I was thinking LCD.

So, I went out to a local TV shop (not a chain, but just an independent) to see what they had. I couldn't get a feel for what they really offered, but the salesman there was seeming to guide me to Sharp's new line of LED TVs (with the fourth "yellow" pixel). While the image looked great on the showroom floor, I'm not convinced that the extra yellow pixel is anything more than a marketing ploy and that the brilliant picture was just achieved with playing around with the colour settings.

Tonight I went to look at the local Shop of the Future to see what they had. After talking to the salesman about my leanings towards an LCD and what I'll primarily use it for (let's be honest... gaming), he steered me back towards the 50" plasmas. He recommended the plasma due to its superior refresh rate over LCDs, among other things.

So as it stands right now, I'm stuck between a 55" Philips LCD and a 50" Panasonic Plasma. They're about the same price. Pros for the LCD: Larger screen, cooler operation, no annoying ghost images. Pros for the Plasma: Better refresh rate, better contrast ratio.

Help a guy out here. Anyone got opinions/experience with TVs recently?

No comments:

Post a Comment