Monday, November 05, 2007

Books Are Bad

A thought occurred to me yesterday as I decided to head out and browse at my local Chapters. Is there any good reason to shop at a bookstore in Canada these days? With the dollar now being worth more than the US dollar for a little while, and with it being worth over $0.90 for over a year now, we pretty much get screwed when it comes to pricing. Take a look at any book and there are two prices: one for the US and one for Canada. The Canadian one is usually about 20% higher. This was understandable when the dollar was low a few years ago, but now now. And the book stores won't give you a discount... they strictly follow that printed price. Even a newly released book, Stephen Colbert's "I Am America, And So Can You" has a Canadian price of about $4 more than the American. Contrast that to online book retailers, and the prices are quite more in line with what we should be paying. My guess is that they don't have to strictly follow that printed price and can list whatever they want (and of course, less overhead... but still).

Sometimes I just like to buy a new book for no apparent reason... but I just can't justify it anymore.

No comments:

Post a Comment