Thursday, July 06, 2006

Ok, So Predicting Stuff Just Isn't My Thing...

Alright, yet another post on the world cup. It's not so much that the world cup is the only thing on my mind lately... it's more that there's nothing else going on right now that's post-worthy. But in the interest of keeping the dust off my blog, here goes.

So, the two teams in the final are France and Italy... both teams I predicted to lose in the round of 16. France have improved immensely since their lack-lustre round robin, taking the tough road of beating Spain, Brazil (that was a shocker), and Portugal (thank God!) to get to the final. Italy, on the other hand, only survived thanks to a bogus penalty in the last few seconds of stoppage time in the second half against Australia. But that's how the tournament goes, and so by beating Australia, Ukraine, and Germany, Italy are in the final as well. The Italians road to the final was easier, save the upset win over Germany, who were my picks after Holland went out after an ugly game against Portugal.

So, I suppose even though there aren't any teams I really like in the final, I can just be thankful that it isn't an Italy-Portugal final. I think I would have killed myself if it was that. Anyone else notice how there were more Italian and Portugese flags flying around town than German, in this supposedly German immigrant city? I don't think there are more Portugese in K-W, but they sure are more "in-your-face" about their heritage than others.

Anyway, I pick France to win, but it'll be a low scoring 1-0 game, or even a penalty shoot-out after a 0-0 draw. In the meantime, I'll try to think of something else to talk about. Maybe about horses... named Ned and Ted.

No comments:

Post a Comment