Friday, October 16, 2015

The Implications of an Extended Election

The federal election is in three days. The election was called over 2 months ago by the Conservatives and is the longest in modern Canadian history (what constitutes "modern", I'm not sure), and the signs of the long campaign are showing. One of the reasons the Conservatives called it so early (whether or not they'd admit it) is that they have a whole lot more money than their opponents. An extended campaign will drain the Liberal and NDP well before the vote, unless they run budget campaigns. I'm not sure how the fundraising has gone since the election was called, but I've noticed the effects... and they're right in front of everyone's face. Well, everyone who's watching the Blue Jays' playoff games.

Take Game 5 of the ALDS on Wednesday night. Every inning, like clockwork, there was a commercial for the Conservatives and a commercial for the Liberals. The NDP was nowhere to be found. The obvious conclusion is that the NDP are out of money. Did that cause their drop in the polls? Did their drop in the polls affect their fundraising? Are those two things unrelated? I don't know, but I found it to be an interesting observation.

I will now return to muting all commercial breaks. Unless they actually made this commercial...


2 comments:

  1. Well, the NDP don't have the taxpayer's money to buy ad space.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess your implication is that the other parties use taxpayer money to fund their election ads. While I don't disagree that the Conservative government thinly veils promotional material for their party as "public service announcements" (see: Economic Action Plan), I don't think this is the case during the election campaign itself. While I like a good conspiracy theory as much as the next person, this is simply a case of them having more money... and the long election campaign was a strategy to exploit that fact.

      Delete