Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Recommend A Beer

This may surprise you, but I don't have a favourite beer. It used to be Alexander Keith's back when I first started drinking, but lately, while it's still a good beer, it tends to give me headaches. So, I've been avoiding it a little more. Here are a few others that I've been trying and liking lately:
  • Sleeman Original Draft - It's pretty good, but has that distinct Sleeman taste that prevents me from having too much of it.
  • Waterloo Dark - It's a dark beer that tastes like a light beer. Again, a similar problem to Sleeman in that there's a bit of a taste that stops me from drinking it too much. Although, it's much less pronounced than other Brick beers.
  • Miller Genuine Draft - Here's a beer that there's nothing to complain about, but nothing to rave about either.
  • Heineken - I got back on this after coming home from Holland this summer. But oddly, it tastes much better over there. In fact, it tastes glorious over there. Why can't that make it's way across the ocean? That and it's hideously overpriced in Ontario.
  • Mill Street Organic - I don't really know what it means by "organic", but it tastes all right. If it means that it has no preservatives (which has been suggested as the cause of beer headaches), then I'm all for that.
I'd appreciate any other suggestions you may have.

8 comments:

  1. I love Mill Street Organic. 'Organic' doesn't mean no preservatives, it means the ingredients & process are pesticide/herbicide free. I don't usually get a headache from just having a few of these, I tend not to drink too much of it as it's pretty $$. It's conveniently on tap everywhere these days.

    Have you tried the other Sleeman varieties?

    ReplyDelete
  2. There's always Brava -the beer of summer, though it's a bit late in the year to start that. What about the one with the colour changing picture on the label....

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've tried all the Sleemans and Brava and Coors Light. Maybe there's nothing left to try.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I usually get Sleeman Original for myself ( I am a Guelph girl), and anything Mill Street for Patrick.

    After Keiths' changed their formula from barley based to rice based, I stopped drinking beer and started my Strongbow obsession... I also enjoy red wine, but it isn't a good suggestion for the avoidance of headaches.

    ReplyDelete
  5. For all things beer, look to Belgium.

    Duvel is a strong beer at 8%, but the taste is beyond anything Canada has to offer. You might find it in the LCBO import beer section if you're lucky. They were sold out last time I went looking for it.

    If you're really lucky, you might find Trappistes Rochefort or Chimay there as well. Don't count on it.

    Those are my top 3 beers.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Steam Whistle is my go to beer.
    Then Mill St. Organic.
    Then Stella Artois.
    Then Sleeman's Original Draft.
    Then Creemore.

    And Corona and Bud Light Lime in the summer.

    I love beer.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Just about anything from Wellington Brewery... Its in Guelph and it is delightful.

    They make ales mostly and they Special Pale Ale, along with Arkell which is a hoppsy treat. Iron Duke is a strong ale at 6% and then my very favorite, Imperial Stout 8% *( which sadly, you can only get directly from their brewery )

    By the way, I'm Eric... I once worked with you dudes a few years back at the CH Day center. Glad to see you are keeping well and enjoying beer.

    ReplyDelete