Thursday, May 08, 2008

Late To The Party, Yet Again

I haven't had a good track record at picking TV shows I like right from when they start. A few examples:
  • Firefly, which I didn't even hear about until the movie came out
  • Lost, which I didn't start watching until halfway through the first season (and I still haven't seen all of the early episodes)
  • 24, which I didn't start watching until Season 4, but didn't really matter because not many storylines carry over season to season, and
  • Enterprise, which I started watching in Season 3, and despite what other Star Trek fans think, I thought was a great show, especially the third season.
Now, there's another show to add to the list. Battlestar Galactica.

I vaguely recall hearing about this show when it started up a couple years ago, but dismissed it for 2 reasons really. The first was that I didn't seem to bother getting into shows at that time in my life (see Lost), and second was the title made it sound like a whole pile of cheese. How wrong was I on number 2... But anyway, I kept hearing things (from very different sources) about how great this show was, so eventually I decided to start watching... but I didn't want to start right in the middle of a serial, so I decided that I'd have to watch the DVDs right from the beginning. That was a while ago...

I finally got off my ass and got Season one on the weekend, and man was I not disappointed. I plowed right through the entire season in a few days. In a way, it's kind of good that I'm watching it this way, because instead of waiting for cliffhangers to be resolved at the beginning of next season, I can go right out and get Season 2... which I'm about to do after I finish up here. The downside, of course, is that I'm not watching the episodes that other people are watching right now, so there's no one to discuss the plotlines of where I'm at right now. In fact, I don't really know many people who are watching this show, which is a shame. And by the time I catch up, the show will be over because this is the last season.

Anyway, Battlestar Galactica is my recommendation of the day.

No comments:

Post a Comment