Thursday, March 02, 2006

Hey Matt, Do You Like Curling Or Something?

Last night I took a trip down the 401 to London to see the Scott Tournament of Hearts at the John Labatt Centre. I was eager to make it out to at least one draw this week, as I quite enjoyed watching The Scott three years ago when it was in Kitchener. Jessica came with me and we were treated to four games at once, which is a challenge to keep track of. The games were Alberta vs Saskatchewan, Nova Scotia vs PEI, BC vs the Territories, and New Brunswick vs Ontario. The first two matches I mentioned turned out to be blowouts and were over after 8 (out of ten) ends. In fact, PEI wasn't able to even score a point until the eigth end, losing 6-1. The TV game last night was BC vs the Territories. It was a decent game, going the full 10 ends. However, it wasn't a cliffhanger, with BC leading by 3 points going into the last end. The other match turned out to be quite the thriller, as Ontario was trailing by 2 in the last end, without the hammer, where they were able to steal 2 to send it into an extra end. The extra end finished up with two amazing shots, the first by Ontario to put their rock on the button behind lots of cover with a triple raise. The last rock of the game was a great angle raise takeout by New Brunswick to score the point and win the match. The official score says NB scored three in the extra end, which is true, but it was much closer than that suggested.

The only real disappointment of the night was when I realized halfway to London, that I forgot my camera. It's quite interesting to see a hockey arena converted to four sheets of curling ice. Oh well, next time I suppose.

No comments:

Post a Comment