Tuesday, February 14, 2006

The Mythical U of W Tunnels

So, I haven't had anything to post about recently... at least anything that wouldn't make me really really bitter, so here's a non-current event post that I've been thinking of posting for a while.

I recently found a website that was written by someone that was able to get into the underground tunnels that connect all the buildings at the University of Waterloo. Now, the existence of the tunnels was a kind of myth. Well, not all the tunnels (for example, one can get from the Math & Computer building through the Davis Centre into Engineering Buildings without having to go outside), but there were no usable tunnels to the Student Life Centre or the Villages. Legend had it that there used to be tunnels but they were sealed off years ago because of crimes that were committed during late hours, etc, etc. Well, thanks to the website, I now know what was actally there were service tunnels that carried utilities and the like.

I still wish I could have explored them while I was there. Things like this really interest me. I find things that are built for people to use, but for some reason aren't used anymore, like the tunnels. Ghost towns are another good example of what I'm talking about. I even scoped out old Boblo Island, an amusement park that I went to when I was a kid, when I was doing some traffic work down in Amherstburg, but just the old parking lot and dock. Apparently Boblo is now luxury homes and the only thing that still exists is the tower from the observation "ride". One of the best example is the Rifle Range in the basement of SCITS, my old highschool. I always regret never getting into the Rifle Range at SCITS. It was such a cool old building; there were lots of these places there.

One of these days I'm going to do some exploring.

No comments:

Post a Comment