Sunday, December 19, 2004

Youth - A CD Review

Ok, so I haven't had much to post about lately, and it's shown in the dropoff in hits here lately. So, I'm in a frenzy as to not lose my web-popularity, here's a CD review.

I picked up Collective Soul's latest CD, entitled "Youth" about a week ago. First, a little background. Collective Soul.... one of my favourite bands. I have all their CD's and been to two concerts. Now, their last CD was released about four years ago, and since that time they left their label and went the independent route with their own label. But anyway, it had been a while since they released anything new, so to say i eagerly awaited this CD was an understatement.

Anyway, you may have heard their single "Counting the Days" on the radio. It's definately one of the more rock-like tracks on the CD. I like the song. It doesn't grab me like some of their earlier hits, but still decent enough. Putting the CD in for the first time, you'll hear the opening track, "Better Now". At first I hear it, and though "ugh... not really diggin' this". But I find that for me to like something I have to listen a few times, and lo and behold, after a few times, I discovered that I really liked the richness of the chorus of that song. So, now I, in fact, am diggin' it.

To keep it short, I'll jump to the song that I really, really liked right off the bat. And that is the fifth track, "Him". It's short (only 2:38), which is too bad, because I could have really used more of this song. It's a little more mellow and simplistic and somthing about it just strikes a chord with me. Another song I like is "Under Heaven's Skies".

All in all, I'm happy with my purchase. It's not the best album of theirs (in my opinion, that's "Dosage"), but it's far from being a bad album. I read a review of this album somewhere on the internet that discribed it as "A Collective Soul album for people who don't like Collective Soul", while saying it was one of their best (I think it was on allmusic.com). That weird because I definately like Collective Soul, and this album.

No comments:

Post a Comment